May 22, 2024  
2023-2024 College Catalog 
2023-2024 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admission Information

Active Duty Military and Dependents

Admission Information

Admission Priorities

Admission Procedures for Transfer Students on Suspension

Admission Requirements to Specific College Curricula

Americans with Disabilities

Armed Services School

Continuing Education

Converting from Non-Curricular to Curricular

Credit for Prior Learning

Curricular Students

Domicile and Tuition Information

Dual Enrollment Admissions

Equal Employment and Educational Opportunity

Foreign Students

Homeschooled Student Admission


Name, Address Change…



Transfer Admission

Transfer Between Curricula

Transfer of Credits

Transfer to Other Institutions

Transcripts Outside the US

Workforce Crendtials


Admission Information

Students are eligible for admission to Virginia Peninsula Community College if they are high school graduates or the equivalent, or if they are 18 years of age or older and are able to benefit academically from study at Virginia Peninsula Community College, as demonstrated by assessment in reading, writing and mathematics. There is no application fee for admission.

If you would like to be considered for financial aid, scholarships or veteran benefits at Virginia Peninsula, applicants must provide their Social Security Number on the application for admission.

Individuals may be admitted to the College as curricular or non-curricular students. The College reserves the right to evaluate and document special cases and to refuse or revoke admission if it determines that the applicant or student poses a threat, is a potential danger, is significantly disruptive to the college community, or if such refusal or revocation is in the best interest of the College. The College also reserves the right to refuse admission to applicants who have been expelled or suspended from, or determined to be a threat, a potential danger or significantly disruptive by another college. Students whose admission is revoked after enrollment will be given due process. 

The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, age, or handicap in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, or on the basis of other non-merit factors, and complies with the Civil Rights Act of 1964. 

Admission Priorities

When enrollments must be limited for any curriculum, priority shall be given to all qualified applicants who are residents of the political subdivisions supporting the college and to Virginia residents not having access to a given program at their local community college, provided such students apply for admission to the program prior to registration or by a deadline established by the college. In addition, residents of localities with which the college has clinical-site or other agreements may receive equal consideration for admission. 

Curricular Students

An applicant who intends to complete a certificate or degree program at Virginia Peninsula may be admitted as a curricular student and assigned an academic advisor. The following items are required for official admission:

  • A completed official application for admission 
  • A completed application for Virginia In-State tuition rates.
  • Official transcripts from all high schools, colleges and universities attended, if required by a specific program of study or for transfer evaluation purposes. A transcript is considered official when signed by the acting school official and submitted to the College in an approved sealed envelope. High school transcripts may not be required if the student has completed 20 semester hours (or equivalent) at a regionally accredited college or university.
  • Additional information may be required by the College for admission to a specific program or curriculum.

Graduates who complete secondary school in a homeschool setting must provide a graduation date and may be required to provide documentation of coursework. 

After applying to the College, applicants will be assessed by a College Navigator for academic placement prior to meeting with an Academic Advisor. The meeting with the Navigator will cover:

  • The student’s educational interests.
  • Academic placement and course prerequisites. Placement measures are subject to change per VCCS policy.
  • A pre-screening checklist outlining a student’s next steps to Virginia Peninsula.
  • Student’s domicile for tuition rate.
  • Review high school/college transcripts if applicable for English and math waivers
  • Student’s entry into a specific curriculum or program at the College.

Converting from Non-Curricular to Curricular Status

A non-curricular student who has completed a total of 16 semester hours at Virginia Peninsula Community College, excluding credits in developmental studies, should identify a major or curriculum. The student must submit all official transcripts of any previous college coursework to the Admissions Office and complete a Request for Transfer Evaluation.

Curricular declarations or changes can be processed by an Academic Advisor or Enrollment Management staff.

Transfer Admission

A student transferring from another college is eligible for admission to Virginia Peninsula Community College if the student is eligible for re-entrance at his or her last college attended.

If a transfer student is ineligible to return to the last institution of education attended, he/she may be ineligible to attend the College; however, students should contact the Enrollment Management Office, Griffin Hall on the Hampton campus, or The Office of Student Services, on the Historic Triangle campus to obtain information regarding the admission policy or call 757/825-2800.

Admission Procedures for Transfer Students on Academic Suspension or Dismissal from Their Last College

Time should be provided to allow the student to reflect upon his/her academic situation, as well as to obtain necessary help. Students who were placed on Academic Dismissal or Academic Suspension at their previous institutions and are seeking to attend Virginia Peninsula Community College must follow the Academic Suspension/Dismissal policy.

Foreign Students

It is the policy of the College to admit qualified foreign students already residing in the service area. The College is not able to process requests for students applying from abroad or those requiring the college to initiate or maintain an F-1 student visa.

Dual Enrollment Admissions

Dual enrollment is restricted to high school juniors and seniors and homeschool students studying at the high school junior or senior level. Homeschool students must also provide a copy of a homeschool agreement approved by the school district or a letter from the local school board or a copy of the letter filed by the parent/legal guardian declaring homeschool for religious exemption. Documentation of parental permission is required for all dual enrollment students.

Students enrolling in dual enrollment courses must meet all admission requirements and course prerequisites.

All students admitted under this section must demonstrate readiness for college by meeting the criteria listed in the Educational Services section of this catalog. Placement measures are subject to change per VCCS policy.

The following are requirements for admission of high school students to the College:

  • The applicant must be currently attending high school (summer semester excepted).
  • The applicant must furnish a completed Dual Enrollment College Registration Form. This form requires parent/guardian and high school principal (or designee) signatures.
  • All applicants must meet placement test measures.

For information on admission criteria and about the program visit our Dual Enrollment website.

Admission Criteria for Transfer Courses
  VA Placement Test (VPT) PSAT SAT ACT SOL
English Writing 
and Reading
ENG 111 390 480 18 NA
Mathematics MTE 1-5 500 530 22 Algebra I 


Admission Criteria for Career and Career Technical Education (CTE) Courses
  VA Placement Test (VPT) PSAT SAT ACT SOL 
English Writing 
and Reading
ENF 1 390 480 18 NA
Mathematics MTE 1 500 530 22 Algebra I


Homeschooled Student Admissions

Homeschooled students and homeschooled graduates are welcome at Virginia Peninsula. Homeschooled students are eligible to enroll in courses as Dual Enrolled students (on-campus) to complement their homeschool curriculum. Placement measures are required of each student and all prerequisites must be adhered to as specified in this catalog. Homeschooled students must apply to the College using the online application and must also submit a Homeschooled and On Campus Dual Enrollment Form signed by the student, parent, and school principal (parent) and must be submitted each semester. Homeschooled students seeking admission are required to provide a copy of the acknowledgment letter from the school district.

The College also requests that a transcript be submitted to allow Advisors to assist the student with the application and registration process.

Students who have completed secondary education requirements under the category of religious exemption or otherwise homeschooled and who seek admission to Virginia Peninsula Community College must fulfill the following requirements:

  • Complete the online Application for Admission.
  • Submit the Letter of Intent submitted to the school district in which they reside.
  • Submit an official transcript, which must contain an applicable graduation date. (A transcript is considered official when it is in a sealed envelope and signed by the acting homeschool official.).
  • Satisfy the appropriate placement measures prior to registration.
  • Consult with a Dual Enrollment Coordinator.


A new application for admission is required from students who have not been enrolled within the last three years (nine semesters).


To ensure that all students are as successful as possible in their academic courses, Virginia Peninsula Community College has a Placement Policy. The policy requires all new students to go through an assessment process before registering for classes. Certain categories of students can be screened and registered quickly. Placement measures are subject to change per VCCS policy.

Academic placement guidelines will determine initial placement in English, mathematics, and other courses. Students who have completed a college level English composition, college algebra or an algebra-intensive course at the same level, or higher math course with a “C” or higher, have SAT or ACT scores, or have graduated from high school within the last five years should submit official or unofficial documents for review. Non-curricular students are also encouraged to submit any of the above information if available. This documentation becomes a part of the student’s record and is used by academic advisors to advise curricular students on appropriate courses in which to enroll. The College follows the Academic Placement Guidelines outlined in the Virginia Peninsula Faculty Advising Handbook. Placement measures are subject to changes per VCCS policy.

Direct questions regarding the assessment process to Enrollment Management, located in Griffin Hall, telephone 757/825-2800. Assessment services are also provided in the Office of Student Services, on the Historic Triangle campus, telephone 757/253-4755.

Admission Requirements to Specific College Curricula

Before being admitted into specific college curricula, students must show evidence of having the requisite high school courses (or their equivalent) and must have undergone the assessment process required at the time of general admission to the College. For students who do not present high school and/or other appropriate transcripts, decisions regarding admission into curricula and course placement will be based on the assessment process. At the time they are admitted to a given curriculum, students with deficiencies will be placed by an Academic Advisor into the appropriate developmental courses, which they will be required to complete in order to meet course prerequisites. If a student later changes his or her curriculum, the student is required to meet with an Academic Advisor who will review the results of the assessment process and the student’s academic record to determine whether any changes in placement are appropriate.

Below are the requirements in English, mathematics, and other specialized subject areas.


All curricula (certificate and degree) require that students have completed the appropriate prerequisite course(s) or have placed into specific English courses as noted in the course description section of this catalog. Students with deficiencies in English will be required to take the appropriate developmental courses.


Various curricula of the College require that students have completed the number and type of high school units of mathematics needed for the specific program of study.

Curricula requiring one unit of high school mathematics: Accounting, Administration of Justice, Administrative Support Technology, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration, Automotive Technology, Computer Arts, Early Childhood Development, Fine Arts, Dental Hygiene, Graphic and Media Design, Management, Nursing, Technical Studies, and Visual Arts.

Curricula requiring three units of college preparatory mathematics: Business Administration, Computer-Aided Drafting and Design Technology, Electronics Technology, Fine Arts, Information Systems Technology, Liberal Arts, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Science, and Social Science.

Curricula requiring four units of college preparatory mathematics: Computer Science and Engineering.

In addition, prerequisites for placement into specific mathematics courses are stated in the Course Description section in this catalog. Students with deficiencies in mathematics will be required to take the appropriate developmental courses.

Specialized Requirements

Certain curricula require high school units in subject areas besides English and mathematics. Students with deficiencies will be required to take the appropriate developmental courses as a condition for entering the curriculum of their choice.

A grade of “C” for one year of high school Algebra and Chemistry is required by the Board of Nursing. If these courses were not successfully completed in high school, they may be completed at the college level (MTH 154 and CHM 101). 

For any additional admission guidelines to specific programs, students should consult the detailed description of their programs contained in this catalog.

 Workforce Credentials and Continuing Education Courses

Persons interested in taking continuing education courses should contact the Office of Workforce Development at 757/825-2937 or 757/825-2935.

Transfer of Credits

To request an official transfer credit evaluation, the student must submit a Request for Transfer Evaluation form to Enrollment Management, Griffin Hall on the Hampton campus, or the Office of Student Services, at the Historic Triangle campus. An official transcript must be on file from each institution previously attended; transcripts should be sent directly from each institution to our office. Priority will be given to currently enrolled students.

Virginia Peninsula Community College accepts credits for courses completed with a grade of “C” or better at other institutions where the courses are equivalent to Virginia Peninsula Community College courses as determined by the College. Courses meeting these criteria from institutions that are accredited by a regional accrediting body (such as the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges) are normally accepted. Courses from all other institutions are considered on a case-by-case basis. Transfer credit will not be awarded for courses completed with a grade of “D” or Pass/Fail. It must be emphasized that the appropriateness of transfer credits to a particular degree program is dependent upon approval and acceptance by the division dean or designee in the student’s program.

Transfer credit posted to your Virginia Peninsula transcript becomes part of your permanent academic record. As part of your permanent academic record, transfer credit will not be removed for any reason unless credit is erroneously posted.

Armed Services School

Academic credits may be awarded for formal military courses that are applicable to a Virginia Peninsula degree or certificate. Generally, the College may assign lower-level credit as recommended by the American Council of Education in those programs for which the College offers instruction. Students who wish to have any courses evaluated should submit a CCAF transcript, a JST transcript or DD214, listing the complete name of service schools, course numbers (if applicable), and dates.

Transcripts from Institutions Outside the U.S.

International credentials are accepted by the College for transfer credit; however, the College does not translate or evaluate foreign documents. Applicants with educational documents from outside the U.S. are referred to Josef Silny and Associates, International Education Consultants, 7101 SW 102 Avenue, Miami, FL 33173,, or to a professional organization or agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluators or is approved by the Virginia Department of Education. The fee for this evaluation and the time required for completion of the evaluation vary with each agency and is the responsibility of the student. Once the translated evaluation has been received, it is then reviewed in Enrollment Management to establish college course equivalencies.

Credit for Prior Learning/Advanced Placement Program

For selected courses determined by the academic divisions, the College grants credit to students who have taken approved Advanced Placement (AP) examinations and have met Virginia Peninsula Community College performance standards. Official test reports must be sent directly to the Office of Admissions at the Hampton Campus or the Office of Student Services, 4601 Opportunity Way at the Historic Triangle campus to be evaluated. Consult the College Catalog listing for “Credit for Prior Learning/Advanced Standing Guide ” for more information.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

For selected courses determined by the academic divisions, Virginia Peninsula Community College grants credit to students who have taken approved exams through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). The program is designed for those individuals who have gained their education in academic areas in non-traditional ways outside the classroom. Official test reports must be sent directly to the Admissions Office to be evaluated. For more information about the approved exams and procedures for taking them, contact the Enrollment Services Office or consult the College Catalog list “Credit for Prior Learning/Advanced Standing Guide ”.

Challenge Examination

Students who have reason to believe that their previous educational studies or occupational experiences entitle them to an adjustment in the course work required in a curriculum may apply for a challenge examination; it is the student’s responsibility to inquire at the appropriate academic division to see if an examination is available for the course(s) in question. For more information consult the College Catalog listing “Credit for Prior Learning/Advanced Standing Guide ”. It should be noted that credits awarded for challenge examinations are generally not accepted for transfer credit by four-year colleges and universities. Credits earned through college challenge examinations may comprise no more than 25% of a student’s curriculum per VCCS Policy.

Credit for Experiential Learning

Virginia Peninsula does not award credit for life experiences, non-credit training, or for training in a work setting other than for military schools as stated elsewhere.

Transferring to Other Institutions

Students planning to transfer to four-year colleges or universities are responsible for determining what is required by the departments of their intended major at the transfer institution. Those requirements should guide the students in choosing their courses of study and electives. Visit the website of the intended transfer institution for updated catalog and academic information. Academic advisors will assist students in identifying an institution and provide information on articulation agreements, also available on our website.

Transfer Between Curricula or Programs

Students who want to change their program or course of study at the College should discuss their intentions with their academic advisor. Once a decision to transfer to another curriculum has been made, the student must meet with an advisor in the appropriate advising center for their intended program of study on the Hampton or Historic Triangle campus, to arrange a curriculum change.

Students using veteran’s benefits are required to visit the Military and Veterans Services Office located in Griffin Hall on the Hampton Campus prior to initiating curriculum changes.

Domicile and Tuition Information

Eligibility for In-State Tuition

The Registrar and Dean of Enrollment Management or their designee is responsible for making determinations of eligibility for in-state tuition rates based on information provided by the student on the “Domicile Determination Form” included with the College application materials. Eligibility is determined in accordance with Section 23-7.4 of the Code of Virginia.

Domicile is a technical legal term, which means more than simple residency in the Commonwealth of Virginia. A legal domiciliary must demonstrate their intention of remaining in Virginia indefinitely. Generally, to be eligible for in-state tuition rates, the student or the person on whom the student is dependent must have been a legal domiciliary of Virginia for a period of at least one full year prior to the planned term of enrollment at the college. Demonstration of intent is usually accomplished through objective evidence such as a Virginia driver’s license, automobile registration, voter registration, payment of Virginia state income taxes, ownership of real property, etc.

A student under the age of 24 is presumed to be a dependent of the parent(s) for domicile purposes, unless the student provides clear and convincing evidence of independence. A student over the age of 24 may establish his or her own domicile independent of the parent(s). Additional information about eligibility can be obtained College’s web page. A copy of the domicile law and guidelines for its use are available for reference at the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia website (SCHEV).

Upon receipt, the domicile application will be reviewed for a decision. If the applicant is determined to be a non-resident for tuition purposes, he or she will be notified of the out-of-state classification in person and in writing.

If the applicant disagrees, he or she may request an immediate appeal, in writing. The Registrar and Dean of Enrollment Management or their designee will respond to the appeal within ten business days after receipt of the appeal. If the applicant disagrees with the second level decision, he or she may request a final appeal. This request must be written and addressed to the Interim Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Success. Submit the appeal to Enrollment Management; Griffin Hall, on the Hampton campus. An independent domicile appeals committee will review the case. The student may be present at the committee’s meeting, if desired. A written determination will be sent to the applicant within ten business days of the hearing.

Should the applicant disagree with the final determination, he or she then has 30 days to take this matter to the appropriate circuit court. In all cases, domicile determination and changes are made for subsequent semesters.

Domicile reclassification must be requested and determined on or before the first day of classes for the semester of eligibility.

Changing Domicile Status

If a student enters the College as an out-of-state student and believes that he or she has subsequently become a Virginia domiciliary, it is the student’s responsibility to complete and submit the Reclassification Request for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates form in the Office of Admissions on the Hampton campus or in the Office of Student Services, on the Historic Triangle campus, The  Admission forms must be submitted before the first day of classes for which the student is requesting the change. It is advisable to complete this process before the tuition deadline to avoid overpayment. If he or she is correct, he or she will become eligible for in-state tuition rates for the next semester in which he or she enrolls.

Senior Citizens

Senior citizens may apply for free tuition and fees provided by the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act of 1974. Students at least sixty years of age who have been domiciled in Virginia for one year are eligible to enroll in non-credit courses or to audit credit courses for free. Additionally, if their federally taxable income did not exceed $23,850 for the year preceding enrollment, senior citizens may take courses for credit without cost. Taxable income documentation must be submitted to the Admissions Office. Senior citizens must complete the application for admission, Domicile Determination application, the Senior Citizens Student Tuition Agreement, and provide documentation to the Admissions, Records, and Registration Office, Griffin Hall Room 208 on the Hampton campus, or to the Office of Student Services, Room 117 on the Historic Triangle campus. Tuition-paying students are accommodated first. Students who are approved for this waiver must register before the beginning of the semester.

Active-Duty Military and Dependents

All dependents of active-duty military personnel assigned to a permanent duty station in Virginia and who reside in Virginia are considered domiciled in the Commonwealth of Virginia for purposes of eligibility for in-state tuition. Active-duty military personnel who are stationed or assigned by their military service to a work location in Virginia and residing in Virginia shall pay tuition to the college in an amount no more than the institution’s in-state tuition rate. Documentation is required for verification.

Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014

The following individuals shall be charged a rate of tuition not to exceed the in-state rate for tuition and fees purposes:

  • A veteran using educational assistance under Chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill - Active Duty Program) OR Chapter 33 (Post- 9/11 G.I. Bill) of title 38, United States Code - who lives in Virginia:
    • Attending a college in Virginia (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge or release from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • ​Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in Virginia:
    •  Attending a college in Virginia (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the transferor’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone described above, while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same institution. The person so described must have enrolled in the institution before the expiration of the three years following discharge or release as described above and must be using educational benefits under Chapter 30, Chapter 33, or Chapter 31 of title 38, United States Code.
  • Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in Virginia while: 
    • Attending a college in Virginia (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and the transferor is a member of the uniformed service serving on active duty. 
  • A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9)) who lives in Virginia while:
    • Attending a college in Virginia (regardless of his/her formal State of residence).
  • An individual using educational assistance under Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) who lives in Virginia while:
    • Attending a college in Virginia (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) effective for courses, semesters, or terms beginning after March 1, 2019.
  • Effective August 1, 2021, provision 1005 of the Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 (Public Law 116-315):
    • Removes the requirement for covered individuals to enroll in a course at a public institution of higher learning within three years of being discharged to receive in-state tuition.
  • Effective August 1, 2022, Public Law 117-68, Title 38 USC 3679(c)(2)(A) adds Dependent Education Assistance (Chapter 35) recipients to the definition of covered individuals.

Additional information for Veteran and dependent eligibility can be located at

Transfer-Back Program

Military and civilian students who are relocated may contact the College to arrange to complete their degrees while attending colleges throughout the United States. Students may request prior approval from the appropriate academic division to guarantee that courses completed at other colleges will transfer back to Virginia Peninsula Community College.

Notice of Change in Name, Address, or Other Data

Notification regarding change of name or social security number should be filed promptly in Enrollment Management, Griffin Hall, Hampton campus or the Office of Student Services, on the Historic Triangle campus. Students may change their address, email address, and telephone numbers on their MyVPCC account.

Americans with Disabilities Act 

Virginia Peninsula Community College complies with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and provides reasonable accommodations to its students, employees and those receiving services from the College who are entitled to such accommodations by law. It is the responsibility of the student or employee receiving ADA accommodations from the College to inform appropriate college personnel of their disabilities. Virginia Peninsula may request current documentation of a disability. Reasonable accommodations may include, but are not necessarily limited to:

  • Making existing facilities used by students and employees accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities

  • Acquiring or modifying equipment, desks, and devices

  • Adjusting or modifying examinations, training, or academic materials and policies

  • Modifying academic or work schedules

  • Providing other reasonable assistance as required

Individuals seeking information or voicing complaints should contact the Coordinator of ADA Compliance by calling the Human Resources Office at 757-825-2728. Complaints must be in writing and clearly identify the non-compliance issue.

Equal Employment and Educational Opportunity

It is the policy of the Virginia Peninsula Community College to maintain and promote equal employment and educational opportunity without regard to race, color, sex, or age (except where sex or age is a bona fide occupational qualification), religion, disability, national origin, or other non-merit factors. Inquiries concerning this policy should be addressed to the Affirmative Action Officer at Virginia Peninsula Community College, 99 Virginia Peninsula Drive, Hampton, VA 23666 or by phone at 757/825-2728 or TDD 757/825-2853.


Inquiries and requests for information pertaining to admission to the College shod be addressed to:

Enrollment Management
Griffin Hall, Room 208
Virginia Peninsula Community College
99 Thomas Nelson Drive
Hampton, VA 23666


Office of Student Services
Room 117
4601 Opportunity Way 
Williamsburg, VA 23188


By telephone at 757-825-2800